My daughters daycare do try hard to ensure she has a good variety in her meals but struggle most with snacks – since many a savoury biscuit and other convenient snacks contain sugar (usually as a preservative), to help them out (because they do a great job!) I pack some simple muffins to freeze for her so she’s not confined to rice crackers and cheese or Vegemite sandwiches everyday.
– 2.5 cups wholemeal flour
– 1 tspn vanilla bean powder
– 2 tspn pure stevia powder
– 2 Tblspn coconut sugar (optional – but it brings out a raspberry crumble like flavour)
– 1 tspn baking powder
Combine the above in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine gently:
– 1 egg
– 1 cup buttermilk (just use 1 cup milk and tablespoon of vinegar and leave it for 5 minutes)
– 1/2 cup macadamia oil
– 1 grated apple
– 150-200 g fresh raspberries
Then fold together the wet and dry ingredients gently. If it’s too stiff add a dash of milk or extra oil.
Place into muffin tins into 180degree pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes until cooked. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before taking out of pan.
These are really full muffins (very dense but bursting in flavour).